Continuing our video investment on Instagram
February 28, 2022
Investment in Reels
Video is a huge part of why people enjoy Instagram, and we love how our creator community uses it to express themselves, collaborate with others, and connect with their followers. Reels continues to be a growing and important part of Instagram and we are excited to invest even more in this format. Shorter, entertaining videos allow you to inspire trends, express yourself to your audience in a flexible (and fun) way, and push culture forward. Reels also continues to be the largest contributor to engagement growth on Instagram, as more people watch reels to be entertained, go deeper with their interests, or discover new creators.
A New Way to Watch Video
Last year, we kicked off simplifying video on Instagram by merging Feed Video and IGTV into one format -- Instagram Video -- to make it as easy as possible to create and find videos that you love. Over the coming months, you’ll see us continue to invest in simplifying our video formats, making it even easier to create and watch video on Instagram - the way you already do with Reels.
To start, there will be a few changes to the way people view videos on Instagram based on feedback we’ve heard from creators. Regardless of how they are created, videos watched on Instagram will have features like a full-screen viewer and the option to tap to mute. We are also working to create one, consistent way to share your videos, bringing together creation tools and offering new ways to discover content.
As we continue to simplify how people create and enjoy videos on Instagram and make Reels a more central part of the experience, there are several product updates coming in March:
- We want to help creators turn their passion into a living - this is why we've invested in helping creators earn through a portfolio of monetization options across Meta. We’re exploring more ways for you to earn by creating reels that entertain our community. In addition to bonuses, later this year we will begin testing a new ad experience on Instagram, which will allow creators to earn revenue from ads displayed on their reels.
- Because of our focus on Reels, In-Stream video ads (previously known as IGTV ads) will no longer be supported. Creators that are actively monetizing with In-Stream video ads will receive a temporary monthly payment based on recent earnings.
- As part of our efforts to make video as simple as possible to discover and create, we will no longer be supporting our standalone app for IGTV. Instead we will focus on having all video on the main Instagram app. We believe this makes it easier for people to have all these features and abilities in the main app, and are excited to continue to simplify and improve video in the main Instagram app over the coming months.
Get Creative with Instagram Video
Here are some tips as you think about creating video on Instagram:
- Keep it Short. Our community loves short, entertaining videos - creating reels is the best way to do this.
- Focus on Immersive. Optimize your video content to be viewed vertically. This means using high-resolution, 9 x 16 vertical videos with no borders, where text does not cover the majority of the screen.
- Make a good first impression. Pull the viewer in within the first few seconds and keep them interested for the duration of the video. The first three seconds are critical!
- Be consistent. Create an editorial calendar you can stick to. You don’t have to post a video every day; just be sure to go at a pace that works for you. Consistency is key!
- Avoid Visibly Recycled Content: We’ve heard that our community wants to see reels that are uniquely made for Instagram – this is what they find the most entertaining and inspiring. Avoid posting reels that are visibly recycled from other apps (i.e. contain watermarks).
- Consider the Material. We avoid recommending reels that focus on potentially sensitive content, as well as content that is overly promotional or too commercial. You can refer to our Community Guidelines and Recommendations Guidelines for more information.